The FAEMA brand
In 1945 Carlo Ernesto Valente opened a coffee machine workshop in Milan which was to become the beginning of FAEMA, or "Fabbrica Apparechature Elettro Meccaniche e Affini" or "factory for the manufacture of electric appliances and accessories".
The E61 model, developed in 1961, marked the beginning of an era: it was the first coffee machine to use a volumetric pump to bring water to 9 bars as required for espresso. In addition the E61 featured an enhanced pre-infusion group head which helps to moisten the ground coffee before starting the extraction. The E61 revolutionized espresso machines and catalyzed many of the designs common across espresso machines today.